Wednesday, October 29, 2008

A Mother's Dilemma

I was on tenterhooks for the whole good month of October, for work and family. On the work front, there was this mega outreach event to roll out, involving students across all three levels and some 200 external participants and industry partners. On the home front, Claire’s examinations were right smack in October.

Can only say that I am glad work went okay, event could have been better no doubt, but reflecting back, no regrets, I had done all I can within the 2 short month’s notice. The windfall for me out of this event was that my students benefitted from staging the event, learning about the lifestyle sectors and had received raving feedback from the external participants. They earned every bit of that.

On the home front, I am very thankful MY ONE took days off during my event days to run the kids schedule. And last evening, we received good news. Claire topped her class in Mathematics, scoring a full 100 marks for her year-end paper. Gosh, a perfect score! I was not even near that in my lifetime, of course neither was MY ONE, he was furthur I believe. She did well in her English and Mandarin too, thus attaining her personal goal of getting into the first band.

Now this thing about getting into the first band was a personal dilemma for me. When Claire came back from school one day, telling me that she wants to be in the same class as her “benchmark” friend who had been scoring first in class in all subjects, I was all a nerve ball. On one hand, I know that would be good for her, but on the other hand what’s the good of having to defend one’s position all the time. I for one knew that would be a very tiring journey. Why not just be a mediocre and enjoy life whilst still having lots of room for improvement and not incur the wrath and envy of people around you (the exact predicament that mummy is in right now)? But knowing Claire, once she sets her mind to it, there’s no looking back. As parents, we could only help guide and motivate her and of course as her meticulous mum, work out a timetable for her. I prayed that God’s will be done, if it’s meant to be, let it be and if it’s not, let it not be.

She earned every bit of it. I am happy for her and for myself for this experience of a mother’s pride. However, deep down I know that this is the start of her never-ending quest. I can only pray that as stewards of God’s gifts, He will give me the strength and wisdom to help develop each of them to their fullest potential.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I was quite close to full score ...ok....

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home