Tuesday, January 14, 2014

A Day to Remember

Been in a contemplative mood of late, wondering if another season of life beckons... ...

However, I was bombarded with a series of encounters today which reminded me of Mr. Quah and why I chose this vocation over others before my 13 years flashed past. 

One: CXW, a student I taught some 2 years back, requested for a testimonial this morning. As I worded it, memories came flooding back of how I witnessed his transformation; from a reserved and quiet boy in class to one who rose against the odds during his internship and emerged a much stronger and confident person, not forgetting his heart for his academically weaker classmates and old folks in the community. Indeed it was his heart that touched me and how privileged I am to be placed in his journey of growth.

Two: Another student J who graduated last year, how I knew from my very first encounter with him that accountancy was to be his left arm with photography/design to be his right. He’s been invited as one of four local Instagram-mers to present at a show. Always an advocate of believing in your dreams, how an opportunity to get him involved in a campus video paid off for him big time. The moment his video was aired, I felt so proud of him; an accountancy grad acing in a video production and again how privileged I am to be placed in his journey of passion; 

Three: How my day was made because A walked into class later in the day with a big smile, sharing with me that she made it in time for the morning class and that made all the difference - A good start to the day. A was near debarment as she had been perpetually late for morning classes because she had to fetch her younger step-brothers to school first. Hers is a case that tugs at the heart strings for at such a tender age, she has to work to support and care for her step-parents (who more often than not are in and out of jail) and step-siblings. Unfortunately, her pillar of support, another fellow student, had just passed on as well. It’s no wonder that A is not doing well in school though it’s a wonder to hear of such a complex case today. Good thing that she has agreed to see the counselor I have arranged for to sort things out; and

Lastly: Another ex-student touched base via FB to check if I was in office today as she had earlier come by to give a talk to current students. Though I vaguely remembered how she looked, to be remembered was certainly heartening.

Should I or should I not… …?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home