Sunday, July 01, 2012

First Your Wife, Then Their Mother!


Seemingly simple but yet difficult in practice.

With a brood of five, it was "normal" for me to slip into the "I am first a mother" role, fretting over their diet, schedules, school work, health, social well-being, etc. Unkowingly, it became common for me to behave like your "housemate" or "kidsmate", with conversations literally revolving only around the house and kids.

Fundamentally, we are poles apart and even our kids know that. They would run to you for English and Science and mummy for Maths and Chinese. They know they can have their way with you where play is concerned but to me they would run to when they need serious help with school work or just a listening ear or shoulder to cry on. You are the quick-tempered and out-spoken sort whereas I do not like conflicts head-on. As you have always said, you see the bigger picture and me the nitty gritty.

I am sorry for the many times I have taken you for granted, as you have rightfully pointed out over my "home-wear" and the unfair expectations placed on you. Importantly, the change in perspective that we are first each other's wife and husband before our stewardship responsibilities did work out. I could sense the positive energies around the kids and family as a whole.

Looking forward to more dinner chats where you would offer your Step 1 to 10 guide and me my auntie's take. Oh yes, your poems of course, been a long while hor? As I look at your photo now, my heart still misses a beat.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home